SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: The Name of The Star

Wednesday 8 August 2012
Author: Maureen Johnson
Edition: HarperCollins Paperback
Released: September 29th 2011
Series: Shades of London #1
Pages: 372

Goodreads, Author's Website, Amazon UK/US

The day that Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London to start a new life at boarding school is also the day a series of brutal murders breaks out over the city, killings mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper spree of more than a century ago. Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him - the only one who can see him. And now Rory has become his next target.

MY REVIEW:

What can I say? I ADORED this book and can not recommend it enough. Simple. This is one of those times where I wish I had the powers of persuasion - if I did, I assure you I would be making you read this book right now! I can't say much more than this is a one-off you really don't want to miss!

I absolutely loved, loved, LOVED this plot! I know a lot of people are skeptical about thrillers. And to those that are, I say; if you only ever read the one thriller, make it this one! I literally want to hug the author for coming up with this storyline! It was perfectly executed and I loved every minute of it. The mystery is just so thrilling and gripping! And I'm using the word thrilling as I really can't describe this book any other way. But I suppose I should warn you. It does get creepy, and I'd advise you not to read it late at night... I'm not one of those who get creeped out by a book easily (I am known to dabble in the horror genre ;D), but this one had me looking for shadows! However, please don't be put off by that! I need someone to read and then gush about it with me!

The main character, Rory Deveaux was a great heroine and narrator for the story. She was a brave and considerate character who I liked straight away. I also adored her room-mate, Jazza, too. When Boo (this book has some cool nicknames!) came along though, it sort-of pushed Jazza a little out of the picture. I was quite sad about that since some of my favourite scenes were when Rory and Jazza were together. Hopefully she'll be an important character in the next book!

If I were to pick this book apart looking for any sort-of criticism, I would have to go with the romance. It's not a big deal or anything... but it was sort-of strange. The romance didn't have quite enough substance for me to enjoy it as much as I could have. It didn't affect anything too badly though as I didn't actually mind the love interest. I just hope in The Madness Underneath we'll be able to explore a little deeper into that area.

Overall, The Name of The Star has scored high on my highly-recommend list. I adored the plot and the characters and can't wait to meet them all again in book two. And of course, I'm sure some of you probably guessed this was coming but I still need to say it anyway. Boarding school setting! Yes, yes, I know. I'm obsessed with boarding schools... but I just had to mention it! But seriously - go read this!

FOUR AND A HALF STARS! :D


Happy Reading,
Rachel xoxo

PS: Feel free to check out some of the giveaways I've got going on over on the sidebar! :)


8 comments :

  1. The cover looks really nice.
    Awesome review, it makes me want to read the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the amazing review!! :) This book is in my TBR pile, and your review has made me want to read it even more!! :) I am so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the awesome review!,
    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliat review Rachel!! This does intriguing and after reading your review, I'm going to get asap ;) And boarding schools... count me in of course but the romance :( glad it doesn't affect the story as much but then for me, a good romance can do A LOT, believe me :)

    Thanks for sharing though and glad you like it <3
    xoxo, Mariam @Book-A-Holic

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely want to read this book, now! That cover is also just so ... tempting. Thanks for sharing (:

    Anastasia @ http://characterized.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. FANTASTIC review! I haven't been really eager to read this up until now, you have definitely persuaded me! :D Rory and Jazza sound like great characters. Shame the romance was a bit strange for you, but I hope the sequel provides that better for you :) thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought this, but I'm SUCH a wuss. I HATE horror books and movies. With a passion. And any jack-the-ripper-style book is NOT my thing. But then I've heard so many great things about Maureen Johnsons writing style, so I'm so unsure!

    Your review is really making me want to read it! The plot sounds incredible, and-- oooooh, boarding school?! I love boarding school books! Not to mention how cool the character names are. :p

    I don't think I'll be able to out this off much longer, after this! Thanks for your great pursuasian skills, Rachel. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this review, Rachel, and even though we don't have persuasion powers (darn.) I really did felt persuaded after reading your review, so Kudos to you ^_~ Too bad the romance fell flat but this still sounds so amazing and I think I'd like a bit of creepy nowadays. Fantastic review, as usual, Rachel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having the power of persuasion: I know exactly what you mean, haha. How wonderful would it to have such a power sometimes ^^ Lovely review: I really want to read this one! I like creepy books now and then.

    ReplyDelete

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!