SOCIAL MEDIA

ARC Review: What's Left of Me

Saturday 25 August 2012
*I've decided that whenever I'm reviewing an ARC/early copy of a book, I will call it an 'ARC Review' in the title so as to put more of a spotlight on the upcoming book and author. (:

Author: Kat Zhang
Edition: HarperCollins ARC
Release: September 27th 2012
Series: The Hybrid Chronicles #1
Pages: 356 approx.

Eva and Addie live in a world where everyone is born with two souls, but where only the dominant one is allowed to survive childhood. Fifteen years old, and closer even than twins, the girls are keeping Eva, the ‘second soul’, a secret. They know that it’s forbidden to be hybrid, but how could they ever be apart?

When a dramatic event reveals what really happens to hybrids if they are discovered, Eva and Addie face a dangerous fight for survival, neither wanting to be the one left behind...


MY REVIEW:

This is, without a doubt, one of the best debuts ever written! I loved it! Even now, I am still in awe of the plotline. It was just so unique! I have never read anything like this before and that was probably the main reason I adored it so much. It was just so different from everything else out there - really unusual and imaginative!

And the world-building, you ask? Well let's just say I wouldn't want to be Eva or Addie considering what they had to go through! Zhang managed to paint some pretty vivid images into my mind with her words and description. I just really can't get over how amazing this debut was! Usually first books aren't the best... but this one? Wow-ee!

The main character and narrator, Eva (aka. the less dominant soul) was really likeable straight away. She was strong brave, kind, caring... very multi-dimensional! Addie (aka. the more dominant soul) was also a great character. However, she did manage to try my patience a little because, at times, she could be a bit stubborn towards Eva and do what she wanted - which was unfair as Eva didn't have the power to overpower her. But she did always manage to pull through at the end showing just how much she cared for Eva which was sweet. There were also a few other enjoyable characters introduced as well. And for all you romance lovers out there, you'll be glad to know that there is something for you in this book too! But that's all I'm saying in the matter. ;)

With great characters, an amazing storyline and some scary, vivid world-building, What's Left of Me turned out to be a great page-turner that I recommend to everybody who's willing to give it a shot! The story also includes one heck of an ending! Talk about bittersweet! I literally need book two as soon as possible - which is sometime late next year probably! :(

FIVE STARS! xD
A BIG thank you goes out to HarperCollins for sending me this book to review

Happy Reading,
Rachel xoxo


17 comments :

  1. I can't wait for What's Left of Me to come out! With an amazing cover, great summary, and tons of positive feedback, forgive me if my expectations are high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of the plotline of this one too! It does sound like a very unique and different book, so excited to read it now, knowing that you loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, why do you have make me so jealous??!! >.< This sounds AMAZING :D The storyline is really unique, and I love ths sound of Eva. :) Thanks for the great review - I'm either going to request a review copy or pre-order it, now, hehe :D x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! You're so lucky to have gotten it! I hope it will arrive in my mail box some day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, this sounds so strange but unique! I'm waiting for it to arrive in my mailbox at the moment, for review, and wasn't that sure about it at first. But after reading your review I'm so excited to start! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on What's Left of Me. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, your "wow-ee" was SO cute!! ^3^ I've never seen this one before!! :o Shame on me, because this book sounds absolutely amazing, especially for a debut! I shall take your recommendation seriously and add this one to my TBR! <3 Lovely review, as always! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, What's Left of Me sounds like such a wonderful read. Thanks for sharing.
    Katja @ YA's the Word

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot wait until I get a hold of this book! It's one of the most interesting plots I've ever heard and I LOVE original stuff. Also, I haven't heard a single bad word about it. Great review.

    C.J.
    Sarcasm&Lemons

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep seeing this one everywhere, I cant wait to get a copy to read! Great review Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read this so bad! I'm so jealous you managed to get an ARC! I was originally drawn to this by the cover, how pretty is it?! But then all the reviews started rolling in, and everybody who shares the same book taste as me, loves it! So that's made me even more excited to read it.<3

    Eva and Addie sound amazing.<3 I suppose when you're used to being the more powerful one, it's hard to listen to what the other half has to say? YESSSS, I'm a sucker for a good romance!

    Thanks for making me DESPERATE for this, Rachel. :P Wonderful review.(: <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book looks.....AMAZING!!!! Thank you so much for the fantastic review, I am so happy you enjoyed this book-it looks awesome!! :) Thanks for the amazing review!!
    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing! Great review, I'll have to read this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have an ARC of this book sitting on my shelf right now, and I'm totally reading it next because of this review. :D It sounds amazing!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  14. *squeee* I am soooo excited for this! You're completely right about the concept—it's definitely one of the more original dystopia's coming out this year. Although it does kind of reminds me of The Host and I absolutely L O V E D that which is why I'm anxiously counting down the days until this comes out hehe c: Eva and Addie sound amazing as well and I can't wait to meet them! Fantastic review and I'm so happy that you loved it x)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gread review! I'll be adding this to my to be read pile. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmph! Lucky girl! I soo wanna read this! I adore the cover too. :D Great review xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a review of this one coming up on the blog this week as well. I thought it was wonderful debut! I'm very excited to read more by the same author :)

    ReplyDelete

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!