SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: Cinder

Tuesday 14 August 2012
Author: Marissa Meyer
Edition: Puffin Paperback
Released: January 5th 2012
Series: Lunar Chronicles #1
Pages: 387

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl...

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


MY REVIEW:

Why, oh why, oh why, did I wait this long to read Cinder?! Really. I should have picked this up months ago when all the hype was going around! But, oh no, of course I didn't... but now that I have, I can only hope to persuade you to get this soon too!

I don't actually think I've read any fairytale re-tellings apart from this one. And if I have, well none of them have left the same impact on me as this one! I really enjoyed looking for the similarities to the original story. And I'm glad to report back that Meyer has managed to tie them in quite cleverly!

At the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd love Cinder but after a while, I did! She was strong and admirable and I could easily empathise with her and what she was going through. I just hated how horrible Adri and Penny were to her! She was so innocent and I just hated how she was treated! Another character I also loved was Kai. He was sweet and definitely swoon-worthy! I was rooting for Cinder and Kai right from the word go! But I have to say, my favourite character was neither of them. It was Iko. Sweet, adorable Iko. Oh, how I loved her! I really don't know why for sure... but she was just so adorable! ^.^

Unfortunetly I did have a couple of problems. Firstly, I could get a little confused at times with the wording. But mostly it was with the mechanical jargon that I didn't get. Let's just say I don't think I could be a mechanic. ;) I also managed to guess quite a lot of the twists in this book but I'm not that bothered about that. Even when I knew the twist was coming, it was still a little shocking when it was revealed.

So, overall, Cinder was a very unusual and enjoyable read which I can easily recommend to all dystopian fans! The characters are very likeable and relatable and you'll be sure to get along with them quickly enough (especially little Iko) and their story! Even though I could get a little confused with the wording, it was nothing major. I'm definitely counting down the days until book two is released - especially since this one ended on a cruel cliffhanger!

FOUR STARS! :D


Happy Reading,
Rachel xoxo

PS: Sorry I've been a bit AWOL with comments lately... I've been on a Pretty Little Liars marathon - but I'm back now and wondering if any of you lovely folk know if Season 3 has yet to air in the UK? ;)


8 comments :

  1. I have heard a lot about this book.
    This is an AWESOME review.
    and I love dystopian books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why oh why oh why, I'm SO happy that you liked this one!! XD Awww, cute and awesome review, Rachel! I LOOOVED Iko as well and I definitely think you made a good point about the jargon being a tad confusing. I was lost a couple of times as well :( Anyway, there is a good side to you just finishing Cinder! Now you won't have to wait as long to read Scarlet (book #2)! 8D Thanks for sharing the great review~ !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this book forever, too! I'm glad to hear it's as good as people say it is. Now I want to read it even more. :P Great review.

    C.J.
    cjlistro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of this! When it first came out I was like "I HAVE to read his!", then I wasn't sure if it would be my thing, but then all the amazing reviews came out and I knew I had to read it!

    Any re-tellings of fairytales haven't left a great impression on me, either. Maybe this one will turn me?(:

    Cinder and Kai sound wonderful, and I already hate Adri and Penny. I'm so glad you enjoyed this, despite the jargon and predictable bits. I can't wait to read it!<3

    Amazing review, as always, Racehl.(:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been waiting on this one too and I'm not sure why. Sounds like I need to hurry up and get to it! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, Rachel - you have officially persuaded me :D I don't know why I'm waiting to read this one too... it sounds amazing. I haven't read any good books with a re-telling of a fairy tale but I think I'll like this one :) Sorry about the confusing words - that can be so fustrating in books. And Iko sounds so sweet :D
    Great review, thanks for posting! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading this one at the moment and I LOVE it so much. The characters are great indeed :)

    Only one little thing:

    "I just hated how horrible Adri and Penny were to her!"

    Don't you mean Pearl? :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the amazing review!! :) I actually just started Cinder yesterday! So far I am really enjoying it; I'm about 150 pages in and even though, as you said, it can get quite confusing at times, I'm enjoying it so far! :)

    Thank you so much for your brilliant review!! :)
    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!