SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: Dark Parties

Saturday 18 August 2012
Author: Sara Grant
Edition: Orion Indigo (Library) Hardback
Released: December 22nd 2011
Series: No (standalone)
Pages: 264

Sixteen-year-old Neva has been trapped since birth. She was born and raised under the Protectosphere, in an isolated nation ruled by fear, lies, and xenophobia. A shield "protects" them from the outside world, but also locks the citizens inside. But there's nothing left on the outside, ever since the world collapsed from violent warfare. Or so the government says...

Neva and her best friend Sanna believe the government is lying and stage a "dark party" to recruit members for their underground rebellion. But as Neva begins to uncover the truth, she realizes she must question everything she's ever known, including the people she loves the most.


MY REVIEW:

Ever since reading a review of this book over at Page-turner, I'd really want to read this. It looked like a dystopian I would thoroughly enjoy, and I did! It had a really unusual storyline, well-layered characters and I would definitely recommend it to all dystopian fans.

I suppose I should warn you that this book might not be for everyone. The only reason I'm pointing this out is because I have read some reviews in which they didn't particularly enjoy it. But if you were to ask me, I would still say that this is worth a pick-up as it has such an original storyline. For instance, how many books have you read when you're introduced to a rebellion straight away? Usually dystopian books lead up to the rebellion but this isn't the case for Dark Parties - straight away you're introduced to rebellious characters etc. It might have a slightly strange first chapter, but I definietly think you should stick with it!

The heroine, Neva, is a really brave and admirable character. If I were in her situation, stuck in a "Protectosphere", I would feel exactly like her - trapped. I loved how determined she was to never give up hope. She was just so multi-dimensional. Caring, considerate, brave, strong, fiery - always willing to do what it took. I really can't think of a better main character that could have been more perfect - she fit perfectly into the role.

Overall, I really enjoyed Dark Parties. At the beginning, I will admit that I was a little skeptical... but after a while I was gripped - maybe it was because it had that gripping quality that only books in present tense can pull off? So, yeah, if you're a dystopian fanatic, go try this out!

FOUR STARS! :D

Happy Reading,
Rachel xoxo


8 comments :

  1. Brilliant review Rachel! Glad you liked, it actually sounds really interesting and hello! I'm a HUGE sucker for dystopians here ;) so definitely adding it to my TBR list :)

    Thanks for sharing <3
    xoxo, Mariam @Book-A-Holic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review, Rachel! This has been on my Wishlist for ages now, and after reading your review I want it even more. :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. "multi-dimensional".. I LIKE THAT! The cover of this is so stunning, and the dystopian premise sounds promising as well! Awww, I know..sometimes you've got this book that you loved, yet there are people who just didn't seem to see the good of it :( Oh well, your review's definitely convinced me to check this one out, so thanks for the great review, Rachel! <333

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so great! The Dystopian theme sounds interesting, and the premise is one that I love! I think I would be on the same side as you and Beth, loving it, rather than not.

    Neva sounds like everything you could want from a female lead, and strong independent characters are the best.

    Thanks for the lovely review, Rachel. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review! :) I agree, ever since Beth's review I have been DYING to read it! I love dysopian themes, and the fact that it starts off with a rebellion sounds interesting. I like it when author's take a common theme and make it unique. And Neva sounds perfect for this type of story - strong and brave characters in dystopians are the best! Thanks for posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool premise. I was grabbed by the title and I think this is going on my TBR. It's so common for dystopian to lead to a rebellion; I enjoy that this gets right into the action. It's fresh.

    C.J.
    sarcasm&lemons

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes really like to be plunged into a story right away. It's so different and refreshing. I also like the cover of this book <3 Neva sounds great too. Thanks for sharing this lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so, so, so much for mentioning my blog!! :) Thank you so much for the fantastic review, I am so glad you enjoyed this book!! :) :)
    Thanks for the brilliant review!
    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!