SOCIAL MEDIA

Why I Love Faery Books!

Tuesday 28 May 2013
So some of you may remember that one of my New Years resolutions was to write more discussion posts, and well... I've not exactly been doing that. Luckily, there's still seven months left in the year for me to start living up to that promise. So today, my friends, will be the first of (hopefully) many more discussion posts!
 
Today's topic, you ask? Well, it's why I love faery books! :)
 
And, yes, you may have gathered I've spelt it faery rather than fairy, and the reason for that is, simply, I prefer spelling it that way - maybe it's because it's spelt that way in quite a few books I've read but I'm honestly not very sure when I started doing it. Anyways. That was just a side note. Now on to the real deal!
 
There's something about faeries that really gets your imagination going. Maybe even makes you feel a little nostalgic. For me, anyway. At one point, I was obsessed - and I mean, obsessed - with faeries. I was given this big, beautiful, almost authentic-looking, lilac book a few couple years back all about faeries and the legends surrounding them and straight away, I got caught up in it all. I loved the idea of there being little people with wings hiding and flying around gardens and forests and, to me, who had - and still has - a wild imagination, it just seemed so possible.
 
I think that's why I enjoy faery books so much. It gives the inner, whimsical child in me what she wants. To believe in the possibility of faeries, even though she spent hours searching for them to no avail. I probably sound bonkers to some people but if you have big, wild imaginations like my own then you will probably understand where I'm coming from. ;)

Of course now that I've given you my reason, I need to give at least one book recommendation! The one that instantly springs to mind is the Wings series by Aprilynne Pike. Now, I know some people didn't enjoy this series but, since I am a faery-enthusiast which you've probably already managed to grasp, I LOVED it! I really do recommend this series to you if you think it's something you'd enjoy! There are also a few supernatural books I have read where faeries have been involved... But that's another thing I just adore about them. Every author has a different take on faeries. It's just perfect for someone like me! :D
 
Do you enjoy faery books? Have any recommendations for a faery-lover like myself? Or, are you the opposite, and don't enjoy faery books at all? Why? As a child, did you also believe in faeries? Were you obsessed - or still are - with any sort of magical/mythical creature? Well comment below and tell me!
 
Happy Reading,
Rachel xoxo



9 comments :

  1. I'm kind of on the fence when it comes to faery books. some i like, some just annoy me no end! I can't think of any at the moment that i would recommend to you; i have a book title hanging around in the back of my mind but i can't remember it so when i do i will tell you! I don't really know why i like them actually, maybe because, as you said, ''It gives the inner, whimsical child in me what she wants'' maybe because i just like reading! haha xx great post! i am doing a discussion post soon about the pro-s and con-s of book blogging soon. :D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a 1st grader, I was really obsessed with fairies. I even dreamed to become a fairy myself... Even just for a day.
    Now I still like fairies, but now I prefer them manipulative and evil rather than sweet and sparkly. I especially liked the fairies in the Mortal Instruments series.

    Great discussion post!! You really should do more (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like all kinds of mythology like fairies, mermaids, sirens but especially Greek ones. I haven't read many fairy books, cause the last one I read (Wings by Aprilynne Pike) didn't really impress me... But I really want to try The Iron Fey and Wicked Lovely series. Lots of people seem to love them and I get curious. I admit that I watched Tinkerbell movies on Disney Channel a few years ago and I still think they are awesome lol.

    I love discussion posts! I think you should do more! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kezia; I love all books with mythological creatures! I really enjoyed the Ingo series when I was younger (they were about mermaids), but unfortunately I haven't read many faery books... Unless you count Artemis Fowl, but they aren't exactly faery books... they just have Holly in them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Wings series is one of my favourites. TAMANI, FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really not into faery or fantasy novels, sometimes they just annoy me. Looking forward to your future discussion posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this discussion post, Rachel! I am a massive fan of fairies, and when I was a little kid I also had a big book on them. The book even came with a pair of wings that I strapped on my back and danced around the garden in :P I would never tell anyone other than fellow fairy-lovers about that, haha!

    I also used to write these letters to this fairy and leave it on my back doorstop. In the morning, there would be a small letter back from the fairy. I was so excited waking up every morning and discovering the letter. Years later, I realised it was my mum writing the letters back and pretending to be a fairy, which was a shame! :(

    Anyway, I've gone off the topic of books...I have read a few books based on fairies, including the Wings series. I actually wasn't a big fan of that series and didn't bother finishing it, but I'm glad you loved the books :D I am a big reader of The Iron Fey novels, although the fairies in that series aren't very traditional.

    Thanks for this brilliant discussion post, Rachel. It's made me remember all of my lovely, imaginative young childhood years! :Dxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, Lucy pretty much said what I would say!! ^-^ Tamani <3

    I'm in the middle of reading the last one in the series, Destined, at the moment and it's so cute!...But it's aaages since I read WIngs, Spells and Wild so I'm kinda having problems remembering what's going on o_0

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aprilynne Pike's Wings Series is actually one of my all time favourite, I cannot believe how much she grabbed me into the world that she created :D

    Like you I think the spelling faery looks so much prettier :D

    Angelica @ Paperback Princess

    ReplyDelete

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!