SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: Texas Gothic

Saturday 18 May 2013
Author: Rosemary Clement-Moore
Edition: Corgi Books Paperback
Released: July 7th 2011
Series: Goodnight Family #1
Pages: 404 approx.

Amy Goodnight's family are far from normal. She comes from a long line of witches, and grew up surrounded by benevolent spirits and kitchen spells. All fairly harmless, but Amy can't wait to get to college and escape the "family business".

But things take a darker turn when she and her sister Phin spend the summer looking after Aunt Hyacinth's ranch. Amy is visited by a midnight spectre who is clearly trying to send her a message. It seems that the discovery of an old grave on a neighbour's land has been the catalyst for an apparent ghost uprising.


Aided by local friends and Ben, the handsome cowboy who just can't take his eyes off Amy, the sisters investigate. And they soon find that there's something strange and dangerous going on, deep in the heart of Texas...

Some of you may know I don't really get along with witch books. The concept of witches and magical powers never holds an appeal to me and so, consequently, I steer clear for the most part. Well, here's something you may not know. There has always been one exception. One witch book that I actually have enjoyed. That book you ask? Texas Gothic. I'm not even sure what powered me to pick up that book and start reading it in the first place but I am thoroughly glad I did because I ended up really enjoying it! So I think it only fair to give it the justice it deserves and review it. Don't you agree? ;)
 
If you're like me and are wary of witch books then you'll be glad to know that one of the main reasons I enjoyed this book was because the whole witch side of things was very realistically portrayed and it wasn't the main focus - there were other, more demanding, plotlines. There were also quite a few comical moments in this book that kept me entertained! I couldn't help but snigger every now and then - that 'underwear' scene was hilarious! This book could also get quite creepy at times but, call me weird all you like, I actually enjoyed the creepy scenes! The underlying mystery of the ghosts though, admittedly, confusing at times, was also well developed and enjoyable.
 
The main character, Amy, is snarky, confident and can stand up for herself and so, obviously, I adored her. The cowboy of the story, Ben, was something else altogether. He was broody, secretive and just plain irrestible. I LOVED him. The relationship between him and Amy was definitely one of the reasons I enjoyed this book so much. They absolutely detested each other for a good part of the book - which made up for some of those funny scenes I was telling you about! - and so the author deserves a pat on the back for developing a romance that was practically non-existent to begin with. Easy to say there is definitely no insta-love in this book! ;)
 
Overall, I really recommend this book. The characters are great and the author is extremely skilled when it comes to writing comical scenes! If I ever come across another book by this author I will be sure to check it out. If you don't see the appeal in witch books but would like to see what the hype is all about, you should give this one a go - I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Not only has it got a snarky witch, it also has ghosts, a steamy (plus hilarious!) romance and a well-developed mystery. It can easily be enjoyed by a range of different audiences!

FOUR STARS FOR TEXAS GOTHIC! :')

Happy Reading,
Rachel xoxo
 
PS: Is there a certain witch book you really love and would recommend?



6 comments :

  1. ok that cover SERIOUSLY gives me the creeps! but..after reading your review, i think i will give it a try and just cover the book when i read it! lol have you read the witching hour by elizabeth laird? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! This books was awesome. The Spinoff Spirit and Dust is out. It follows Daisy. I'm going to be picking it up soon. I love Amy & Ben. They cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I love good funny books with a bit of romance. I like Witch movies but I haven't really read many Witch books. Who doesn't love a irresitable make lead haha. Great Review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write really good reviews!

    As for my recommendations, since this is a witch-y post, I'm going to recommend The Diviners by Libba Bray, The Secret Circle series by LJ Smith and the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness. The first 2 books of the All Souls Trilogy are out and they're a bit lengthy though enjoyable nonetheless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, Rachel! I'm a little scared to pick this one up because I read one of the writer's other books and I didn't like it.

    I don't read very many witch books but I really liked The Indigo Court series. I love the Bloodlines series too, but witches don't play apart until the most recent book (if you haven't read Vampire Academy then you should read that before)!

    P.S. Thanks for following my blog!:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the first line of your review as 'Some of you may know I don't really get along with books' and I was like: Whhhaaatttt? O.O Haha, luckily I read it again... ;)

    ANYWAY. This book sounds really good. I haven't had any particular bad experiences with witch books but I haven't had any specific amazing experiences either. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one, it is good that the writing was realistic even though it was about witchcraft.

    Thanks for the great review, Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!