SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: The Testing

Wednesday 29 May 2013
Author: Joelle Charbonneau
Edition: Templar Proof/ARC
Release: August 1st 2013
Series: The Testing #1
Pages: 384 approx.
Links: Goodreads | Author's Website | Buy the book!

Sixteen-year-old Cia Vale is honoured to be chosen for The Testing – a series of exams set by the United Commonwealth that selects the brightest young adults to become leaders of their war- stricken world. But when candidates start disappearing and Cia witnesses unimaginable horrors done in the United Commonwealth’s name it becomes clear that these are no ordinary exams, and Cia is forced to realise the truth: this is no longer about winning, but surviving.

To be honest, I wasn't sure whether or not I'd like this book. I'd read quite a few reviews where bloggers had said it was like a mash rip-off of The Hunger Games and Divergent, and since they are two of my most favourite books, I wasn't sure whether or not this book would be worth my time. But the premise of this book refused to let me pass it up - my curiosity always gets the better of me sooner or later! - and so I opened it up, deciding that I should see, for myself, what to think of it. And I am so glad I did. I adored it!
 
Admittedly, I could see slight resemblances between The Testing and THG/Divergent. To begin with, I was near enough analysing every sentence for similarities but after a while, thankfully, I settled into it and started appreciating this book for what it was in itself. If you're scared that you'll react to the similarities stronger than I did then you might be glad to know that the ending of this book is steering this series in a completely different direction than either The Hunger Games or Divergent did. So, overall, I really did like the storyline. I especially liked the 'tests' the main character had to sit - it really showed off Cia's skills. Sidenote: Don't get attached to some of the characters like I did. :(
 
Now, more about Cia. Or should I say, Malencia. What a strange but pretty name, eh? Anyways, I LOVED her. She was just so smart and intuitive. They were probably the qualities I loved most in her. She managed to notice things in the 'tests' which I never would have - which leads me to think I would do extremely badly in those tests *chews lip*. She was also a really brave and strong character and I had such high admiration for her. I really liked Tomas as well. He was also really smart, as well as just plain loveable.
 
To conclude, I really, really enjoyed The Testing. I adored the main character along with some of the other side characters and the romance was a really nice addition. I also loved the amount of action in this book because, as you probably know, I'm an action-junkie! Yes, there are resemblances to other dystopian books but this didn't affect my enjoyment as badly as it did others. The ending has certainly left me wanting more. Unfortunately, there's going to be over a year long wait for me before the sequel will come out! I don't know how I'm going to stand not knowing what happens next. I just can't wait! I also really want to find out more about this government. Overall, a fabby read! :D

FOUR STARS FOR THE TESTING! :D
Huge thanks to Templar for providing me with an ARC of this book to review!
 
Happy Reading,
Rachel xoxo



8 comments :

  1. I can see how this could be similar to The Hunger Games, that's why I'm a little bit if a sceptic, but I still want to read it! Glad you liked the characters, they're one of the most important things! Hopefully my request will get accepted!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a great read! I love dystopia, so I might give this a go, but I'm a bit apprehensive about it being like Divergent. I mean, there's only one Veronica Roth! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dystopia too! Um I'm honestly a bit skeptical about this cause it does sound quite similar with THG or Divergent from the summary. But I'm a big fan of action-packed book so maybe I'll try it someday. :) Lol, at first I misread Tomas as Tobias xD Good luck with the waiting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't really a fan of this, because of the reasons you stated - it kind of reminded me of THG and Divergent. I felt like a been 'been there, done that' kind of read. Glad you enjoyed it, though. :) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny that people thought it sounds like Divergent and The Hunger Games because I was going to say that just by looking at the cover. Glad you enjoyed this, I love strong heroines! Lovely Review

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Rachel! I've just read another review for this book and that blogger didn't enjoy it all so it's great that another of my blogging friends has loved it. It's the best feeling when books you're not too sure of take you by complete surprise! And yay for Cia! Smart characters are always so kick-ass and I'm glad you loved her - her name IS really pretty!

    Hope exams went well for you, Rach! Mine are well and truly over so I can relax... until results come in August haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel I'm a new follower! I found your blog through someone's Feature and Follow Friday post :)

    I'm glad that this book isn't so bad after all, I was kinda excited hearing that it's mish mash of Divergent and The Hunger Games, but like you I was also worried that it'd be too much "copying", so glad to hear it's not the case.

    Angelica @ Paperback Princess

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really intriguing and I'm always looking for original YA dystopian novels, I don't know if I'll be able to wait until August before ordering this book from Amazon! x

    ReplyDelete

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!