SOCIAL MEDIA

Mini Reviews: The Selection & Throne of Glass!

Saturday 4 May 2013
First off, I do actually have a good reason for reviewing both The Selection and Throne of Glass in the same post. One, I read them quite close together and am surprised I haven't found the time to review either of them considering the amount of time each has been out for. Two, each reminds me of the other - for instance, I find the love triangles so similar that I usually mix up which love interests go where and due to this, the books just seem to merge together whenever I think about them. Three, even though I did enjoy both of them, I feel like the hype surrounding each book made me go into both books with ridiculously high expectations. :3 So, yeah. Let's get to it!
 
Author: Keira Cass
My Edition: HarperCollins eBook
Released: June 7th 2012
Series No: The Selection #1
Pages: 327 approx.

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself - and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

 
This book had been on my wishlist for quite some time and so when I finally managed to get my hands on a copy, I was super excited to start. Luckily, since this was the first book I read out of the two and so had nothing to compare it with, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I like how the author has written a story with a fresh take on the dystopian genre. A unique and unusual plot is a big must-have for me and so I'm glad this book delivered. The world-building was also enjoyable. I was constantly intrigued by all the 'Castes' and really wanted to know more about how they had come to be that way. I'm hoping to get more information in the sequel! The main character, America, was caring and sarcastic and so turned out to be an enjoyable narrator also. The only thing that lowered my liking for her was during the ending when I got the impression that she was going to start... 'toying' with both love interests. I really hope this isn't the case because both of them care for her deeply and it would just be plain unfair and a little vain on her part. :3 Speaking of the love triangle, I really couldn't make up my mind for the majority of the book who I liked better. Maxon or Aspen. One minute I liked one over the other and then two scenes later I'd like the other one more. If I had to pick though, I would say Maxon. Another character I liked was May - she had such an adorable personality! I've actually got the sequel sitting next to me which I need to read and review and I can't wait to get started!
 
FOUR STARS FOR THE SELECTION! :D
 
 
Author: Sarah J. Maas
My Edition: Bloomsbury Paperback
Released: August 2nd 2012
Series No: Throne of Glass #1
Pages: 404 approx.

Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.

In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?


Now this is where I'm going to have to start scratching my brain since I read this book a few months ago. Anyway, I'll try my best. The synopsis of Throne of Glass creates a great premise - instantly you can see the potential in the storyline. So when I found out that the main character was going to have to compete in a serious of challenges throughout the book to become the Royal assassin, I was rather excited. I thought it was a great idea! But, alas, it just didn't turn out that way. Where I had wanted description upon description of what was happening in each challenge and action scenes upon action scenes, I just didn't get that. Or, more specifically, I just didn't get enough of that. The pacing of the book was also a little off for me. I got quite bored at parts throughout the book and my concentration would drift quite a bit before I forced myself to re-read and then continue on. However, it wasn't all bad. I did enjoy the characters! Celaena was definitely very multi-dimensional - she had contrasting sides to her personality. On one hand she was as hard as nails but then she also had a more gentle, vulnerable side to her too which I enjoyed whenever it appeared. She also liked to read which is, obviously, a bonus! ;) Like with The Selection, I'm not completely sure where I stand on the love triangle. However, we didn't really find out too much about Chaol (aka. Captain Westfall) in this book so I can't fairly choose. So, overall, Throne of Glass was a likeable enough read but I just wished it had focused more on the action aspect and the challenges rather than the other sub-plots.
THREE STARS FOR THRONE OF GLASS! :)
 

Have you read either - or both - of these books? Were your views similar or completely different to my own? Do you prefer Maxon or Aspen? Chaol or Dorian?
 
Happy Reading,
Rachel xoxo

PS: My maths exam is over! Woooooooo! Definitely calls for a party (even if I didn't do so good)... :3 ;)



11 comments :

  1. I haven't read both books but The Selection is definitely on my TBR list. The cover is GORGEOUS!! I'm glad that this book worked for you!
    I like strong heroines and action books so maybe I will like Throne of Glass. But it's unfortunate that the pacing is slow :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read The Selection but I did really enjoy Throne of Glass. Will you be reading Crown of Midnight when it comes out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read The Selection! It is my number one book on my wishlist and I need to read it. Especially with The Elite coming out. I enjoyed Throne of Glass but I remember getting a bit bored during the middle.

    Thanks for the mini reviews, Rachel! I can understand why you thought they are similar, I remember talking to a book blogging friend on Twitter about that :)

    PS. YAY for your maths exam being over!!! :D I can't wait for that moment in my life :3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked The Selection because I know a few people who didn't. Personally, I love it! The Elite is even better!

    I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy Throne of Glass very much. I loved it but can see why other people might not like it so much.

    Lovely reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha congratz on finishing your math exams! I'm still trying to put my studying off until the last minute. xD I absolutely adored Throne of Glass! I thought that the book was pretty fast paced and ended up reading it all in one sitting. xD Great reviews!

    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Great Reviews :)
    I'm glad you liked The Selection because I enjoyed it heaps. I've heard a lot of good things about Throne of Glass so I will keep my eye out, shame it wasn't enough of what you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed The Selection, though I feel like it was fun fluff, but the cliffhanger is terrible! I'm definitely Team Maxon though (for now). :) I haven't read Throne of Glass, but I probably won't be starting it any time soon based on your review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Kezia D - Unfortunetly I have the eBook copy of The Selection so I don't get to admire it on a bookshelf. :( I hope you get the chance to read it soon and enjoy it! You should give Throne of Glass a try and see what you think! ^.^

    @maya - I'm not completely sure if I'm going to continue reading the Throne of Glass series, admittedly. However, I'm not entirely sure just yet. Maybe I'll enjoy it more than book one... What do you think? :)

    @Zoe Crook - You really need to read The Selection soon! When you do I hope you love it! ;) Ooooh, and other people think they're similar? I thought it was just me - glad to know I'm not the only one! Good luck for your Maths exam when it comes around! :D

    @Lucy - The Elite's better? YAY! I'm also glad I was on the side that enjoyed the book because I had also read mixed reviews! I'm glad to hear you loved Throne of Glass! I know quite a lot of people who did so I found it strange when I didn't enjoy it as much. Thank you! ^.^

    @Daphne - I was the same! I only studied a few days! :3 Good luck on yours! It's funny how quite a few people have different takes on the pacing - I'm glad you really enjoyed it though! Thanks! :)

    @Pink Lady 631 - Thank you! Yay for enjoying The Selection! Yeah... it's a pity I didn't love it as much as everyone else. :(

    @Charlene C - Yeah, I think I'm more on Maxon's side than Aspen's too! Don't let my review put you off of Throne of Glass if it sounds like your type of thing! You may enjoy it much more than I did! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read The Selection and have to agree with you about the 'toying with their emotions' bit...I definitely don't like that part about her :| But I definitely would choose Maxon over Aspen at this point too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely adore both of these books! I just read the Selection and I loved it! I just posted a review on it, though I felt I rambled quite a bit! Throne of Glass is also a relatively new favourite of mine! I definitely prefer Chaol and Aspen, they just feel so much...stronger to me!x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read the selection and I loved it! I can't wait for the last book just to see how America ends up! Like, will she marry Maxon or go with Aspen? XD It's a very heated love triangle.

    www.whimsicalyoungster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!