SOCIAL MEDIA

Book Review: Foundryside

Tuesday 16 June 2020
Author: Robert Jackson Bennett
Edition: Jo Fletcher Books Paperback
Released: 21st August 2018
Series: The Founders Trilogy #1
Pages: 503 approx.
Links: Goodreads | Author's Website | Buy the book!

In the city of Tevanne, you either have everything, or nothing. For escaped slave Sancia Grado, eking out a precarious living in the hellhole known as the Commons, nothing is just one misstep away.

So when she is offered a lucrative job to steal an ancient artefact from a heavily guarded warehouse, she leaps at the chance.

But instead of a way out of Tevanne, she finds herself the target of a murderous conspiracy. Someone powerful wants the artefact, and Sancia dead.

To survive, Sancia will need every ally and every ounce of wits at her disposal – because if her unknown enemy unlocks the artefact’s secrets, the world – and reality – will never be the same.

I first came to hear about this book through Regan's booktube channel, PeruseProject. You've probably heard of her, she's pretty popular in the booktubing community, and also a pretty big fantasy nerd like myself. Out of all the booktube channels I watch, I've always found my taste in books to be the most aligned with Regan's so whenever she raves about a book and the blurb catches my attention, I tend to want to pick it up pretty quickly. Bennett's Foundryside was one of those books.
Now, I wish I could say that I loved it - just like so many other of Regan's recs I have read! - but, unfortunately, I just can't. *cries* I really, really wanted to and I thought it would be just my kind of story but the truth of the matter is, I just wasn't that enthralled.

I love action, I love adventure, I love a host of characters... all things present in this book and yet I just didn't end up loving the book itself. I actually was starting to debate if I was maybe even just getting a bit slumpy since I felt like I just wasn't getting through the book at my usual pace. But I think I just have to face the facts, this book just didn't end up being my cup of tea.

It is a very weird one because yes, I can say the world was interesting, the heists were fun and there were a variety of character dynamics, and I do get why a lot of people love this book. But I think my main issue was really the fact I just didn't connect with any of the characters, at least on a sufficient level. I didn't dislike them, I just wasn't necessarily rooting for them either. My favourite character probably ended up being Clef and I did really enjoy the way he and Sancia interacted at times, it made for some funny moments... I also did quite like the (light) romance introduced between two of the characters and could see how they would compliment each other.

Overall, this book just didn't enthral me, as much as I thought I was going to love it. I do see how a lot of people enjoy this book but unfortunately I just didn't fall in love enough with the characters to be invested in the story. I always thought I was more a plot girl, than a character driven reader but maybe I'm changing a bit in my old age! *hehe* There are some enjoyable dynamics in this book and I do say it's worth giving it a go if it catches your attention - I think my meh feelings are the ones in the minority here!

TWO AND A HALF/THREE STARS!
 
Until next time,
Happy Reading!
 
Have you read this book, what did you think of it? Are there any books where you just didn't fall in love with the characters?



Post a Comment

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!