SOCIAL MEDIA

Cast a Harry Potter Spell [Part 1/2]!

Friday 13 December 2013
Okay, so I'm one of the biggest Harry Potter fans EVER. The books. The movies. I'm simply obsessed. So you can't really blame me for wanting to take part in another HP related post... It's just too good an opportunity to pass up! Especially since this one looks like so much fun and is a really smart idea (thank you so much for creating it, Jasmine)! A quick shout-out to Hawwa for 'tagging' me to do it too!

 
Reparo
fixes damaged objects
 
A book that needs some serious fixing: The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda! The main character was horrible and arrogant and annoying and I couldn't stand him or his attitude one bit! If he had only been less infuriating then I probably could have enjoyed the book more than I did!
 
Lumos
creates a narrow beam of light
 
A book that deserves more attention: Without a doubt, Milledgeville Misfit by T.L. Gray. It is such a beautiful and heart-warming book and I seriously wish I could make everybody in the world read it. I love it so much. If you're only ever going to read one book from a very small publishing company, please make it this one!
 
Nox
counters the effects of lumos

An overhyped book: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey. Before you all freak out, it's not because I didn't like it - I did! - it just wasn't... what I thought it would be, I suppose. I didn't warm to the writing style and, at times, the pacing was quite slow and my attention would begin to wander.
 
Accio
summons an object from a significant distance
 
A book you're anticipating: Hmmm... Oh, I know! Idols by Margaret Stohl! The sequel to Icons which will be coming out next year some time! I know a lot of people who just couldn't get into Icons but, to my surprise, I loved it! 
 
Alohomora
opens unlocked doors, unless bewitched
 
A book you want to be more open about: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I studied this one for English and didn't like it at all. But I really want to give it another try and see if I'll appreciate it or like it more now that I'm older!
 
Expecto Patronum
conjures an incarnation of positive feelings
 
A book that made you cry, or at least want to: I think I've only ever really cried at one book - Milledgeville Misfit by T.L. Gray (if you haven't caught on already, you need to read this book)! Cat Clarke's Entangled was also one powerful book and I think I teared up a little reading the concluding book to the Matched trilogy by Ally Condie, Reached.
 
Morsmorder
conjures the Dark Mark
 
A book you wish to mark as one of your favourites: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa. I absolutely ADORED this book! Totally recommend!
 
Petrificus Totalus
petrifies victim
 
A book you wish to keep forever: Dragonfly Pool or Star of Kazan or Journey to the River Sea - all by Eva Ibbotson. For some reason, these books always seemed to transport me into a new and exciting world and, well, they're childhood favourites so I'll always have a soft spot for them. :')
 
Protego
shield charm
 
An intimidating book you keep putting off: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I really want to get into classics but, as I've discovered through past experience, I don't have much patience for the old writing style. So, on some level, I do want to read this but.... on the other hand, I don't want to end up not liking it.
 
Riddikulus
used against a boggart
 
A book with a deceiving synopsis: The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke. I went into the book expecting one thing and came out of it slightly annoyed because it hadn't followed through on what the synopsis had conveyed. I still liked the book though - just not as much as I could have.
 
Lacarnum Inflamarae
shoots fireballs
 
A book you wish to burn out of your mind completely: Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky. Just because it's what I would expect a New Adult book of 50 Shades of Grey to be like... It was quite disturbing for me to read because of all the, uhmmm, hanky panky stuff going on in it. :3
 
Wingardium Leviosa
levitates objects
 
A book you wish to reread: Hmm... Now that I've been talking about some of the Eva Ibbotson books, one of them! :P
 
Avada Kedavra
causes instant death
 
Worst book EVER: I hate saying that a book is the worst book ever 'cause I feel like I'm trashing the author, but a book that was simply not my cup of tea was Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. I just couldn't get into the storyline - there just wasn't anything exciting ever happening - the pacing was just too slow for me and the characters too bland. I know loads of others who liked it though!
 
Stupefy
puts victim in unconscious state
 
A book with a chapter you couldn't seem to get over: An epilogue is counted as a chapter, right? If so, boy oh boy did the epilogue of Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare kill me! It was heart breaking and extremely frustrating! Even now I get both sad and angry at the thought of it!
 
Confundo
causes befuddlement or forgetfulness
 
A book that generally confused you: My Name is Mina by David Almond. I remember reading this one years ago and not ever completely grasping the whole concept of the novel... It was just strange. I can't remember it at all now! :O

This is only half of the survey so expect to see the other half up sometime soon! I definetly think if you're a HP geek, you should take part! :D
 
Happy Reading,
Rachel xoxo



2 comments :

  1. Ahh don't worry I totally agree about Seraphina! I loved the writing style but it wasn't engaging at all and there were WAY TOO many characters! And yes, the epilogue of Clockwork Princess has scarred me for life..! I see what you mean about Wuthering Heights, even though it's one of my absolute favourites, it's quite a confusing read.

    Love your choices Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not the only one! Oh, I forgot about the many, many, many characters... I couldn't keep up at all! The epilogue *sniffs*. Hopefully I'll bring myself to read it one day soon - I'll just try and take it slowly and really concentrate on it!

      Thanks so much for the comment! :')

      Delete

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!