SOCIAL MEDIA

Simultaneously liking and disliking a book...

Sunday 18 January 2015
So I'm sitting here a little perplexed, having, over the past few days, read the first two books in the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. I hadn't particularly meant to pick up the first book but, as it went, I was in some kind-of vampire kick and on the look out for another vampire book after The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black. Vampire Academy happened to conveniently be on my shelf.
 

As I was reading it, I didn't find myself to be particularly enjoying it. The main character felt a little selfish and full of herself to me and these types of characters are not usually ones I get along with and ones I find deject from the storyline. But, at the same time, I was still turning the pages of the book and not thinking to put it down. There was still something compelling me to keep reading. (getit, compelling me? ;p don't say you didn't smile)

Anyway, once I finished, I mentally placed it in the slightly-more-enjoyable-than-okay category and got ready to move on. But a few hours later, I decided I liked it more than I initially thought. Granted, I'd watched the film straight after reading the last page which, admittedly, could have spurred my love for the book, in itself, and the premise of the series but... There just seemed to be something telling me that this wasn't the kind of book I should of nit-picked. And once I decided that, I really wanted to continue on with the series.

I promptly bought and downloaded book two, Frostbite, on to my Kindle app and surprise, surprise, really quite enjoyed it. More so than the first book. Maybe because of the fact I stopped critiquing and gave the storyline a proper chance to draw me in.

It did. And now I want to continue on with the series.


I just find it so strange how, initially, I thought I didn't particularly like the book that much yet, only a few hours later, came to realise I enjoyed it more than I thought. Enough to continue on with the series anyway. And it's happened before with other books. I'll initially think that book was okay but then, at some later point, realise I enjoyed it more than my brain let on.

It's so bewildering. Like, how did this happen? Did I fall in love with the idea of the book but not actually the reading experience? Or did I actually deep down enjoy it but not let myself admit it at the time? Like, ahhhh. I'm sorry if this post is confusing. I've just got some very confused feels right now toward this series and wondering what the heck goes on up in my brain.

Does anything like this happen to you?

Happy Reading,
Rachel xoxo


4 comments :

  1. I loved Vampire Academy when I read it like 5 or 6 years ago. I always wonder if I still like it if I read it today.
    I'm glad that at the end you decided to continue with the series.
    Btw, the movie was pretty cool.

    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently reading the third one now. And I really liked it too! :D

      Delete
  2. I have the first book on my TBR pile and I've been meaning to read it but vampire books scare me because there's generally blood and violence and I hate both those things haha! I totally get what you mean though. I read Hush Hush, for an instance, and throughout reading it I was hitting my head with the book and muttering about how stupid the characters were, but it had something that was slightly addictive and I couldn't stop reading. I would put it down and sat "That's it! I'm DNFing!" and then I'd go do something and my mind would switch back to the book and my curiosity would grow and I would pick it back up again and continue moaning about the characters but not being able to put it down either. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. Interesting post, Rachel! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad someone relates to what I was rambling about in this post, haha! I wouldn't say Vampire Academy is too gory, but there is some violence in it, but I think you'd be alright. Thank you, Kyra!! xx

      Delete

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!