SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: How To Date An Alien

Saturday 14 July 2012
Author: Magan Vernon
Edition: Smashwords eBook
Released: 5th December 2011
Series: My Alien Romance #1
Pages: 272 approx.
Source: Author (for review)

High school senior Alex Bianchi's estranged father gets her an internship at Circe Operations Center to pad her college applications. But Circe isn't your typical military base. It's an alien-run operation center and not all of the aliens are friendly, especially the one that tries to kill Alex on her first day. When Ace, a dark-eyed Caltian, enters and saves the day, she can't help but be drawn to him. Can these star-crossed lovers survive when they're on the brink of intergalactic war?

The concept for this book is just fantastic, isn't it?! Straight after I read the blurb I knew I just had to read it. I, for one, was definitely not going to miss out on something so unique and different. And I can tell you right now, you shouldn't either. Everyone just has to experience this book for themselves.

I only recently found out that apart from being a science-fiction book, this is also a romantic comedy. Now that I think about it, I did find myself laughing when reading it! Oh yes, and before I say anything else, let me just tell you that even though quite a lot of readers don't really like sci-fi (sometimes me included!), this definitely is one you should try - I really enjoyed it!

The main character, Alex is really snarky, fun and sarcastic. One of my favourite personality types for characters! Some of the things she comes out with are quite funny and I'm pretty sure that if she was real, then we'd be pretty good friends. The love interest, Ace (aka. the alien) was also a really likeable character. I loved him straight away and absolutely despised some of the interns (Alex was one out of a group of interns) who were horrible about him. Especially Gavin. I didn't like him one bit! He was horrible and just really jealous of Ace because Alex didn't show she liked Gavin in that way. Him and Riley definitely made one evil pair!

The way the story was introduced at the beginning I really liked too. It was different and unusual and showed how Alex was telling her story from the present. Meaning everything had already happened. Overall, Vernon's writing style was really enjoyable and witty. And not only can she write romance, but she's pretty good at writing action scenes too!

So overall, How to Date an Alien was a really fun and loveable read. I would totally recommend it to all! You're seriously missing out on something very unique if you don't read it! With a snarky narrator, likeable love interest, some amusing dialogue and even some action scenes thrown in, this book should really be more popular. I managed to finish it in just one sitting!

FOUR STARS! :D


Happy Reading,
Rachel xoxo


9 comments :

  1. I've seen some raving reviews for this, I need to read it! I don't think I'm the biggest sci-fi fan, but at any hint of romance-- I'm there!

    Ergh, Gavin sounds annoying, yet interesting... Alex and Ace both sound amazing! They sound like such a cute couple. Witty characters are the best, I need to meet Alex ASAP.<3

    And OMG, your rating system!! I love those stars, they're so cute. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad this was good!! I really want to read this one, would have been really disappointed if it hadn't turned out to be very good.

    Alex sounds like a really nice main character :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so glad you enjoyed this!

    -magan

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so cool, the title definitely caught my eye! :D Glad you enjoyed it, I will look out for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, one sitting?! I must read this now! Alex sounds like a fab character, and I look forward to seeing what an evil pair Gavin and Riley make - I love to hate great brilliant! ;)

    Amazing review, really!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds really good actually and I'll definitely have to read it, it's on TBR list now and it's not going anywhere ;) And amazing review Rachel. Thanks for sharing <3

    xoxo, Mariam @Book-A-Holic

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I love the sound of this book. Thank you for the great review - I think I need to buy this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohmigosh, this sounds like such a cute, quirky read! Imagine dating an ALIEN?! The premise sounds fabulous and I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    I'd really like to meet Alex - she sounds like a fun protagonist! And Ace sounds awesome too, especially since he's an alien!

    Fab review, Rachel! And your rating system is super cute - I LOVE it <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one sounds so much fun! I love the sound of it!
    Brilliant review!! :)

    ReplyDelete

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!