SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: The Spook's Blood

Friday 29 June 2012
Author: Joseph DeLaney
Edition: Random House Hardback
Published: 7th June 2012
Series: The Last Apprentice/Wardstone Chronicles #10
Pages: 275
Rating: See below review.

**NO SPOILERS**

Time is running out for Thomas Ward. His final battle against the Fiend is drawing near, and the Spook's apprentice has never felt more alone in his task.

The Fiend is set to send the greatest of his servants against him - Siscoi, a Vampire God more ferocious than anything he has yet faced. Tom must risk his life to prevent the evil beast from entering this world, even as he learns that the final destruction of the Fiend may involve a sacrifice more terrible than he can imagine . . .


When the package containing this book arrived through the mail a while back, it came as a complete surprise. I wasn't expecting it and when I found out that it was the tenth book in a series, I wasn't even sure I could read it. But I'm so glad I did! It was brilliant!

Let me start off by saying that this book barely confused me... which was quite surprising! Since I hadn't read any of the previous books in The Wardstone Chronicles, I thought I was going to be questioning everything the whole way through. Oh, how I was wrong! Not only does DeLaney explain everything that's already happened clearly, you're just so absorbed in the adventure that you feel like you already know everything about all the characters anyway. I seriously can not fault his writing style - it was perfect! Really engrossing! So if you're asking if you have to read this series in order; then my answer, based on this book, is no. I think there's a different focal point to every book along with the under-lying main storyline of him trying to destroy the Fiend - but as already stated, this was very easy to pick up! Plus, there's character profiles at the beginning too!

The main character, Thomas Ward (aka. Tom) was very likeable indeed! Also quite surprising for me! I never usually get along with male characters/narrators... He was so well developed with a really enjoyable personality. I admired him throughout for keeping it together even though he practically had the weight of the world on his shoulders! Especially when he found out what he has to do to get rid of the Fiend! I couldn't help but empathise. I loved all of the other characters too, even Grimalkin. Alice also! They were definetly both admirable and brave characters!

Now one thing that had me in complete awe, was the world-building. And that's just after reading the one book! Tom's world... well quite frankly it's absolutely terrifying! I'd hate to live there! What with all the creatures and the way everyone in the County lives in fear. It only makes it worse that Tom is a Spook. Even though the Spooks protect citizens of the County from the Darkness, they still avoid them like they are the Dark. Which is rather unfair for them, don't you think?!

Overall, The Spook's Blood turned out to be an epic read! It had great characters (a very likeable main one!), fantastic world-building and was equal parts awesome as it was creepy. I really recommend everyone to read this! If not, you are seriously missing out - take my word for it! I'll happily read more of Tom's adventures if I get the chance!


Thank you so much to Random House for sending me a copy of this book to review! :D

Happy Reading,
Rachel xoxo


Post a Comment

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!