SOCIAL MEDIA

A YA Fantasy Book Recommendation for Every Colour of the Rainbow!

Thursday 23 July 2020

So I thought I'd do a fun wee post today - I'm going to recommend a book for every colour of the rainbow! I thought this would be a fun wee take on a recommendations post and who doesn't love adding even *more* books to their ever-growing TBRs?!? I'm also going to try and include as many underrated picks as I can. Before I get on to the post, I'd also just like to say: book bloggers, I see you, I appreciate you and you work so hard and deserve all the recognition in the world. Now, on to the post...


RED

For red, I've decided to go for Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers. Assassin nuns. Court politics. A mission. Need I say more? Not only is the dress on the cover red, but red is an extremely fitting colour for an assassin (*ahem* spilled blood *ahem*). I really recommend this one! 


ORANGE

For orange I've went for the first book in one of my favourite series, An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir. It follows Laia and Elias. Laia strikes a deal to spy at a warrior boarding school, Blackcliff Academy, in exchange for help in saving her brother. Elias is one of the most deadly warriors at this school, but all he wants is freedom. Their paths intertwine and everything pretty much kicks off from there. I love, love, LOVE the characters in these books and I am so invested in their story. I'm currently on book three as we speak.


YELLOW

Yellow was quite a hard one for me to pick a book recommendation for. When I think of yellow, I think of more light-hearted, jovial reads. Since I tend to read a lot of fantasy and not that much contemporary (which I always feel is a bit easier to find light-hearted reads in), I struggled a bit. Then I remembered Uprooted by Naomi Novik. I absolutely adored this story and feel more people need to read it. The story follows Agnieska, a girl swept away to live with the 'Dragon' - the wizard solely responsible for the protection of her village from the malevolent woods surrounding it. The novel is a standalone and lighter than most fantasy I read but still so unique and a lot of fun.


GREEN

For green, I'm going with The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson. This was such an unusual and fun read. The story follows Princess Lia as she runs away to avoid an arranged marriage. She is soon introduced to two mysterious strangers - one of which is the prince she was meant to have married and the other, an assassin sent to kill her. The only thing is, we don't know which one's which. I ended up loving this book and really need to read the rest of the series.


BLUE

For blue I decided to go with Fable by Adrienne Young. Fable is due out next month and I really, really adored this book (I received an eARC through Netgalley). It follows Fable as she fights to get back to her pirate father who abandoned her on a dangerous, cut-throat island years before. The book is brimming with pirate adventure and mystery and I LOVED it. Blue is definitely a fitting colour for this rec because pirates and water and just look at the eye on that cover!! 


INDIGO

For indigo, I went for another to-be-released title, this one A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik. No, I did not realise I chose two Novik books before I started writing this post... but no regrets! She's one of my favourite authors now. This book follows El, a girl just trying to survive her last remaining years at the Scholomance boarding school, a school determined to kill its pupils and where you can't trust any of your schoolmates. I flew through this book in two days and loved every minute. It completely swept me up and the UK cover is definitely close enough to indigo to count! 


VIOLET

Finally, we have violet. For this one I've went with Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. In this book, Yelena is awaiting her execution when she is propositioned - she can evade her execution if she agrees to risk assassination by being the Commander of Ixia's food taster. From here, she is thrown into a world of court politics and magic. I really enjoyed this one - the world hooked me and I really enjoyed following all the different character relationships. I feel like not enough people talk about these books either so; read them!

I hope you managed to find, at least, one new book to add to your wish-list. These are some of my favourites and definitely deserve more loving!!

Until next time,
Happy Reading!

Have you read any of these books - what did you think of them? Is there a particular book you associate with a certain colour for whatever reason?



Post a Comment

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!