Edition: Putnam Hardback
Released: 7th October 2014
Series: Pennyroyal Academy #1
Pages: 320 approx.
Link: Goodreads | Author's Website | Buy the book!
Today I feel like spicing things up (reviewing format-wise) so I'm going to do a My Thoughts in Bullet Points... because I just haven't done one in absolute ages! Without further-a-do...
THE GOOD THINGS
- I was instantly drawn in from the get go. I loved the beginning - it hooked me straight away!
- The world was extremely cool and magical (and, as we all know, I love magical). I'd describe it as one of those worlds that, no matter your age, it'll get your imagination going. I mean, it's set in the Grimm's fairytale world, guys! (Safe to say I recommend it to people who enjoy fairytales and fairytale retellings!)
- I really liked the main character.
- I definitely shipped the main character and... a certain knight right from when they first met in the witch's house at the beginning of the story.
- There was something almost J.K. Rowling-esque about it which I'm sure will intrigue a lot of people! It certainly did me.
- I think this book is meant to be turning into a movie (the writer developed it from a screenplay he wrote) and will be starring Reese Witherspoon - and I'm pretty darn excited about that.
- I will definitely be continuing on with the series - the potential for sequels is real!
- I felt like some parts could have been fleshed out and developed some more. Apparently M.A. Larson used his screenplay to help cut some parts of the novel down but I would have rather he explored and delved into them more instead - I mean, a story should be lengthier than a screenplay anyhow. It was a little disappointing since some of the parts which weren't developed had so much potential. But maybe in the next books, eh?
- Sometimes I questioned the role and purpose of certain events. This might have been because the ideas behind them weren't developed though.
- The climax felt a little rushed.
FOUR TOADSTOOLS TO PENNYROYAL ACADEMY!