SOCIAL MEDIA

Review: The Hunt

Monday 4 June 2012
Author: Andrew Fukuda
Edition: Simon and Schuster Paperback
Released: May 10th 2012
Notes: The Hunt #1
Pages: 293
Rating: See below review.

Against all odds, 17-year-old Gene has survived in a world where humans have been eaten to near extinction by the general population. The only remaining humans, or hepers as they are known, are housed in domes on the savannah and studied at the nearby Heper Institute. Every decade there is a government sponsored hunt. When Gene is selected to be one of the combatants he must learn the art of the hunt but also elude his fellow competitors whose suspicions about his true nature are growing.

As much as I want to say this was a brand-new debut which I loved every minute of, sadly it's just not happening. Believe me when I say I really wanted to like this book. The synopsis just had so much potential... but at the end of the day, this book just wasn't for me.

To tell you the truth, I'm not much of a fan of male characters narrating the storyline. I never seem to relate to them that well (am I just reading the wrong books or does anyone else feel this way)? In Gene's case, I just did not get on with him one bit. I think he was the main reason I just couldn't get into this story the way I wanted to. The one thing that I absolutely couldn't stand was the way he acted as though he was better than the "hepers" (aka humans). I just felt like screaming at him: You are just like them, you are a human too, Gene, so stop acting as though you are more superior! Ughh! I just could not believe his attitude towards the other humans at all - he didn't even tell them they were going to be Hunted. Argh! He just sat by and watched, no heads up, nothing! The only characters I actually liked were, infact, the other humans. Sissy and Ben especially. Sissy definetly knew how to handle herself and Ben was just so sweet!

Gene's love interest was also a big no-no for me. I did not like her one bit either. I actually just couldn't help but hope that he would be drawn to Sissy. But, of course, that just didn't happen. Most probably due to the whole I'm more superior attitude he had going. But maybe in the next book? I just think they would balance each other out pretty well... and she could kick his ass if he was ever cheeky which is a plus. It could be a possibility... We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.

The overall plot wasn't too bad but I think Gene's personality just sort-of cancelled that out for me. Seriously, he was just so infuriating! I really hope that he will see sense in book two. And with the way this book ended, I think he really could! *happy dance*

One more thing worth noting. The chapters are really long! And I mean really long. It was quite awkward for me to find a suitable place to stop. Oh, and the ending! It definetly picked up there, and that cliffhanger? Woah!

To end on a high note... Good things this book had going for it: some of the characters (the humans anyway), good use of tension and an exciting ending. Also, alot of potential for book two (potential plot, love interest swap and attitude change) *crosses fingers* :)


Happy Reading,
Rachel xoxo


7 comments :

  1. Waaa, it's a shame you didn't like this one that much. Ooh, I love cliffhangers! Or do I hate them? If you know what I mean. :P
    Great review.(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw thats annoying that he was a pain :) i sometimes find that too, that i can't relate to male characters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I'm sorry this wasn't for you Rachel. I know what you mean about not relating to male leads, I much prefer females. Anyway, great review! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you didn't enjoy this as much as you would've liked too :( The synopsis is really intriguing so it's a shame that it didn't get explored well! Gene sounds like an awfully annoying guy, I HATE reading about characters who are far too full of themselves...

    Great review as always, Rachel! And thanks for updating my button on your page :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you found the main character annoying, I know exactly what you mean; I find it hard to relate to male characters as well.
    Thank you so much for the brilliant review,though!! :)
    Happy reading!
    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The main character totally ruined it for me as well! Could not stand the superior attitude! And Ashley June was such a mystery- still cannot figure her out. Other than that, I thought the plot was kinda unique. Thanks for the honest review x) Agree with most of what you said!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, shame you didn't like this - the synopsis does sound like it has a lot of potential (I LOVE dystopians!) but I don't think I'll be rushing to read this one in any hurry...
    Catherine :) x

    ReplyDelete

YOU ARE BEYOND AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions/feels! I'll be replying to your comment (hopefully) very shortly!